CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Thursday, June 2, 2011

Peru Part 2

We were so happy to get to Cusco after our time in Lima.  I was thrilled to get there and see all the culture that still exists today.  The only downside that I found was the altitude.  I got so sick when we got there and I didn’t think that I would ever recover.  It was a long day anyway with all the flying and the 5 hour delay so I think it was a culmination of both that just sent me over the edge.  I did get to see some really fun things before it completely set in.  The Incan woman were so cool and I thought it was amazing that they still dress the way that they do.  They all wear there hair in either one or two braids with a hat on top. They also all were skirts with a sweater.  Their shoes are all made out of tires and they were sandals.  Just in town they were waking around with their llamas.  It was really a site to see.

Picture or Video 038

After we walked around for a little bit we went to a museum/church.  When the Spanish came and conquered Peru they built a lot of their own buildings on top of the Incan architecture that already existed.  In a lot of churches there is a mixture of Incan and Catholic styles that are melded together.  It is nice to see the Incan walls that still exist because they are simply breathtaking.  This is where the sickness overtook me so I didn’t get to see as much as everyone else because I had my head between my knees the whole time.  They did have a cure and we went and got it as soon as we left here.  I was able to feel so much better and didn’t get sick the rest of the time there.

Picture or Video 043

The next day we got up nice and early to go to go see some ruins.  We took a bus to the sacred valley and there we went up to Pisaq.  It was such a beautiful day and the valley was amazing.  Since these were really the first set of ruins that we saw I was so excited to take it all in.  I couldn’t believe the workmanship on everything and it baffled me how they got all the stones in place.  They even had running water!

Picture or Video 071Picture or Video 085Picture or Video 090Picture or Video 092Picture or Video 101Picture or Video 102Picture or Video 104Picture or Video 106Picture or Video 107Picture or Video 111Picture or Video 115Picture or Video 122

We took a taxi up to the ruins but decided to walk down to see all the sites.  It was a great hike and we saw some beautiful things on the way down.  I was definitely happy that we walked down instead of up though!

Picture or Video 136Picture or Video 141

The only souvenir that I had my heart set on before coming was a hat for Reid.  I was thrilled when we found one in a little market after we made it down from the ruins. He was so cute in it and definitely a show stopper.

Picture or Video 145

Reid fell asleep on the way back but we decided to get off and see some of the ruins along the way.  As I was walking to them I found myself in the middle of some llamas.  I was a little intimidated but Wes assured me that they wouldn’t attack or anything.

Picture or Video 162

Reid was such a good boy and just slept whenever he could.  He didn’t fuss too much and it just made the trip so enjoyable.

Picture or Video 167Picture or Video 182

The next stop of the day was to Sacsayhuaman.  They were among my favorites of the trip.  They had slides there that Wes just had to take Reid on.  I was excited to see Cuscotopia just like in the “Emperors New Groove.”

Picture or Video 210Picture or Video 218Picture or Video 224

I couldn’t believe that they actually moved these stones and then fit them perfectly to other ones. It is crazy!

Picture or Video 232Picture or Video 234

It was such a fun day and jammed pack with so many fun things to see.  

2 comments:

Cristine Garrison said...

what an awesome trip!!! it looks so cool. totally jealous. and Reid's hat is precious :)

Kerry said...

Gorgeous pictures!! That is awesome that you guys went!