CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Monday, July 6, 2009

General Mills has Gone Gluten Free

Most of you that know me know that I am on a strict gluten free diet. I have for the past two and a half years because I have Celiacs Disease which makes you intolerant to gluten which is found in wheat, rye, and barley. I had to completely cut all of that out of my diet and it does make it hard to shop for food. Thank goodness a Whole Foods is right across the street which contains gluten free alternatives. Over the past couple of years a lot more people are getting to know what going gluten free really means. Over 1% of the population suffers from Celiacs disease and more and more parents are putting their austic children on the diet. It has been getting so much press lately especially with Elisabeth Hasselbeck from The View writing her gluten free survival guide. Here are some updates about what is going on in the gluten free community.


Just recently General Mills has been introducing some gluten free products. They started with their Rice Chex and have now made Corn Chex, Chocolate Chex and Honey Nut Chex gluten free as well. It was so exciting to actually be able to buy cereal in the regular grocery store and it saves a lot of money as well. The gluten diet, although worth it, is not a cheap diet. Gluten free alternatives are double and sometimes triple what their non gluten counterparts are.


In just the past couple of weeks General Mills has released more exciting news and declared that their brand Betty Crocker was going to be coming out with some baking mixes. I was so excited when I heard this and my sister called me right away when she found them in her grocery store. It is a very exciting day when I can pick up cereal and baking mixes at the same grocery store where I do all of my other shopping. They are also a lot cheaper than some of the health food stores. They have started making four different mixes; chocolate chip cookies, yellow cake, devils food cake, and brownies. It is a very exciting day for all people on gluten free diets or with family members on the diet.

2 comments:

Jessica said...

yay!! did you try the mixes yet?

Arreola Family said...

Kimmy I had no Idea you had that. I just found out in Feb that I have it to. I am also prego so it makes it so hard for me. I am sick When I eat food and it drives me crazy. I wish we lived closer so we could talk more about the Gluten free diet. I have such a hard time finding food and trying to make good food at home. How do you do it. I hope you are doing well take care.